Characteristics of DemeTech's Silk Sutures:
• Raw silk is produced by a silkworm larva's cocoon. These natural waxes and gums are removed prior to the braiding process, allowing for a tighter, more compact braid.
• DemeTech's Silk suture is dyed black for easier visibility in tissue.
• DemeTech's Silk suture is non-absorbable and multifilament in nature.
• Although DemeTech classifies its silk suture as a non-absorbable suture, it loses most of its tensile strength in one year, and is completely absorbed in 2 years. Thus, DemeTech's Silk behaves like a very slow absorbing suture.
• DemeTech coats its Silk in silicon to limit absorption, increase ductility, and minimize tissue reactivity.